Do you have a job that requires you to sit at a desk for most of the day? Global studies show that we sit an average of 7.7 hours per day. Our society has become so sedentary, in fact, that many studies have proven the negative effects that prolonged sitting can have on our overall health. If you are one of the millions of Americans who has a desk job here are some tips to adding more movement to your day:
- -Set an alert on your phone or desk to stand up every hour.
- -Place your water bottle near your desk and drink. Every few hours you will either need to walk to the bathroom or refill your water bottle or both.
- -Schedule a walking meeting. This is ideal if the meeting group is small.
- -Take a walking lunch break with coworkers. Multiple benefits include absorbing vitamin D through the sun; stimulating blood flow throughout the body by walking; taking a mental break from work with conversation.
- -Walk to communicate with a coworker instead of using email or phone.
- -Stand up while on a conference call or walk around your office.
- -Hold standing meetings. This is also a great way to ensure meetings stay on schedule as people become more cognizant of time while standing.
Regardless of your job, the key is to make time to move regularly throughout your day.