Is there a better reason to wake up and have pancakes for breakfast?!! Instead of reaching for a mix which is loaded with processed ingredients and trans fat try one these easy, made-from-scratch recipes for a healthier start to your day. Now you can have your cake and eat it too…and no guilt!!
3 cups almond meal
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, light coconut milk, or milk
2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil, walnut oil, coconut oil, or butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond meal, flaxseed, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the milk and oil or butter and whisk thoroughly.
- Gradually whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Add more milk as necessary, one tablespoon at a time, to reach pancake-batter consistency.
- Lightly oil a skillet and heat over medium heat. Pour batter onto skillet to make large or small pancakes. Cook for three minutes, or until bubbles
form and edges are cooked. Flip and cook for three minutes or until underside is lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with Greek yogurt and berries or your maple syrup if you want a sweeter treat. I like mine with dark chocolate chips or cocoa nibs!
Ever wonder what to do with that leftover quinoa? Or if you've never tried quinoa this is a great way to enjoy it. The quinoa gives your pancakes a fluffier texture and you can sweeten them up with syrup or fruit.
1 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon course salt
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for skillet
1/4 cup low-fat milk
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
Fresh fruit or fruit preserves (optional) for serving
- To Make:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, butter, milk, and syrup until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter and heat over medium-high. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, 2 minutes.
- Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter (reduce heat to medium if overbrowning). Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit or preserves if desired.